
The Bellini was first invented in 1948 at Harry's Bar in Venice Italy. Giuseppe Cipriani was the head bartender at the time and he loved Italian White Peaches. He worked long and hard trying to develop a perfect cocktail which would use them as a base, then he tried the simple combination of pureed white peaches and prosecco. He knew it was IT!
I personnally think that one should NOT use French Champagne when making Bellini's as it's too rich of flavor and usually it is not a good match for such a fruity cocktail. A light, fruity, Italian style sparkling wine is the perfect accompanyment to the peach puree. A good Asti Spumanti would be perfect!
A true Bellini is a refreshing drink. Don't confuse it with a Mimosa. It has nothing to do with it as people use orange juice and often juice from a carton which isn't all that great to start with.
I've search in my cook books, on the net for Bellini's recipes and I could not really find THE recipe so I decided to try it myself...I just put some beautiful peeled, ripe white peaches in the blender. I did not add anything. I just pureed it to a very thin consistency.
Measurments should be:
1 ounce white peach puree
5 ounces chilled champagne

The Harry's Bar Bellini

No comments:
Post a Comment